To stimulate home-grown innovation, the Innovate for Life Fund targets entrepreneurs based in Sub Sahara Africa countries and/ or with Sub Sahara African origin. A health panel and selection committee will vet the applicants and their decision wil be final.
Application Deadline: 31st July 2017
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
About the Award: The Innovate for Life Fund will tackle Africa’s most daunting health challenges by supporting local entrepreneurs and investing in companies that develop innovative, home-grown solutions.
Health demands in Africa are growing rapidly due to the continent’s rapidly expanding population, which is expected to double to 2 billion by 2050. A new generation of African entrepreneurs has recognised the need to develop novel technological solutions but are faced with a lack of support for early-stage entrepreneurs.
The Innovate for Life Fund aims to invest in African health entrepreneurs to create home-grown health solutions for the African market. We offer African health sector-specific support: knowledge, network and access to funding. This is combined with business coaching by an experienced fund management organisation.
The Innovate for Life Fund will start in 2017 with a health specific accelerator and Entrepreneur in Residence programme, embedding a maximum of six talented entrepreneurs at the Amref Health Africa offices in September 2017. The Fund will offer entrepreneurs the support of Amref Health Africa’s facilities and their extensive health network. In January 2018, a maximum of three entrepreneurs will be invited to partner with Amref Health Africa, which will offer follow up support and joint outreach to investors both in Africa and worldwide.
Eligibility: We are looking for passionate entrepreneurs with an innovative product or service to improve primary health care in Africa. These entrepreneurs will need to convince the panellists on the sustainability and scalability of their business case. With the selected entrepreneurs, Amref Health Africa will enter into a mutual commitment and long-term relationship. This may concerns equity share.
Number of Awards: Several. However, In January 2018, a maximum of three entrepreneurs will be invited to partner with Amref Health Africa, which will offer follow up support and joint outreach to investors both in Africa and worldwide.
Value of Award:
- The opportunity to develop your proposition in a strategic partnership with Africa’s leading health organisation;
- A tailor-made, health sector specific training and mentoring programme divided in two phases. Phase I: 8 weeks, 6 entrepreneurs. Phase II: 4 weeks with the top 3 entrepreneurs.
- In a small group of a maximum of 6 entrepreneurs;
- Guidance of an experienced international fund management organisation;
- Access to key African stakeholders in the health sector;
- Access to an international network of donors, investors and (corporate) partners;
- The programs will choose up to three of the most promising enterprises to enter into strategic partnership, which may include financial support and future
Duration of Program:
- Selection Process: August 2017
- Accelerator programme: September 1 – November 30 2017
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Providers: Amref Health Africa