Wellcome Trust is offering awards for research applicants from UK, Republic of Ireland and Low- and middle-income countries
- 3rd July 2017
- 2nd October 2017
Eligible Countries: UK, Republic of Ireland, Low- and middle-income countries
Field of Research: Basic, Clinical, Public health
Early, Intermediate, Returning to research
About the Award: Seed Awards in Science help researchers develop novel ideas that will go on to form part of larger grant applications to the Wellcome Trust or elsewhere.
Eligibility: To apply for a Seed Award in Science, you must:
- have completed a PhD or an equivalent higher degree
- be based at a host organisation in the UK, Republic of Ireland or an eligible low- or middle-income country (apart from India)
- receive personal salary support from your host organisation, or have a personal award or fellowship that provides a salary but no research expenses, for the duration of the Seed Award in Science
- have a research project that is within our scientific remit.
Selection Criteria: Seed Awards in Science help researchers develop new ideas to make them competitive for larger awards (from us or other organisations). We particularly encourage researchers:
- at the start of their independent careers
- who want to develop ideas outside their discipline or area of expertise.
These awards give scope for innovative methodologies and activities, such as:
- pilot and scoping studies
- preliminary data gathering
- proof-of-principle studies
- planning sessions
- collaborative network meetings.
We encourage applications for interdisciplinary research across our Science, Humanities and Social Science, and Innovations funding.
Value of Program: Up to £100,000
Duration of Program: Up to 2 years
How to Apply: Start your application(opens in a new tab)
Award Provider: Wellcome Trust