The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2018 playwriting competition. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Online, USA
- This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children’s plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
- Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
- Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
- Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
- Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in standard professional play format.
Terms and Conditions:
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
Selection: The winning play will be selected by the series’ current judge, Ayad Akhtar.
Value of Program: The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center’s Claire Tow Theater.
How to Apply: You can enter the Yale Drama Series Competition in 2 ways:
- Electronic Submission
- Hardcopy Submission
It is necessary to go through the application requirements on the Program Webpage before applying
Award Provider: David Charles Horn Foundation.