The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill Communications Officer post at the NOC level, based in WFP Nigeria, Abuja Office. If you are a Nigerian national, committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for people in need, we would like to hear from you!
Application Deadline: 11th May, 2017
Eligible Countries: Nigeria
Eligible Fields of Study: Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field
About the Award: These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and in Country Offices (COs). Job holders work with high degree of independence using technical knowledge and experience to analyse data, prepare reports, provide advice and solutions to problems, and identify opportunities for improvements.
In HQ, job holders report to the Director of Communications or the designate, and work in a specialist area of communications.
In RBs, job holders report to the Regional Director or the designate, with functional supervision from the Director of Communications or the designate.
In COs, these jobs report to the Country Director with functional supervision from the Regional Communications Officer, to ensure that the CO communications activities serve WFP needs in the country of assignment, taking into consideration the overall regional communications plan and WFP’s corporate communications goals.
- Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
1. Develop, maintain and update an appropriate work plan for the assigned area, which implements the corporate communications strategy, in order to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, and support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with WFP strategy.
2. Plan, manage and evaluate communications campaigns that favourably impact the views of the public, opinion leaders and donors in order to raise WFP’s profile and support fundraising activities.
3. Prepare communications products that effectively convey the desired message to targeted audience(s).
4. Maintain and develop a contact list of journalists and media outlets, and manage the regular flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, ensuring reputational risks are identified and managed.
5. Define a social media plan for the assigned area which leverages social media content, platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
6. Generate and/or facilitate the production of donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fundraising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
7. Track and analyse traditional and online media, to identify trends and/or issues, and propose solutions and ideas to improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities.
8. Manage junior communications officers/team, develop work plans, monitor performance against objectives, and ensure appropriate development to enable high performance.
9. Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely reporting on communications activities that enables informed decision-making, evaluation of objectives and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
10. Build capacity of WFP staff on all aspects of external relations communication, providing advice, guidance and training to ensure consistent, quality communications activities that deliver the desired impact.
11. Work in close collaboration with counterparts to align activities and ensure a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
12. Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of communications specific risks.
13. Other as required.
Value of Program: WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
Duration of Program: Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Provider: United Nations World Food Program (WFP)
Important Notes: WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills. WFP will only consider academic credentials and degrees obtained from an educational institution accredited in the country. Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.