The Russian Government is offering scholarships for South African students to study at Russian institutions from the academic year 2017/2018.
Application Deadline: 1st April 2017.
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country): Russia
Fields of Study: Applications from all qualified candidates in any field will be accepted, but priority will be given to applications for postgraduate studies, previously disadvantaged applicants and applicants in the following fields:
- – Biotechnology
- – Climate change
- – Economics and management
- – Engineering sciences
- – Maritime studies
- – Natural and physical sciences
- – Nuclear and renewable energy
- – Space science and technology
Applicants are required to do their own research into available programmes, institutions and programme-specific entrance criteria. The programmes and institutions available under this scholarship are listed at www.russia.study
The final decision on admittance to institutions is made by the Russian institution and the Russian Government. Scholarships may therefore be awarded to study at institutions outside of an individual’s preference.
About the Award: Most programmes are instructed in the Russian language and applicants with no command of Russian are required to take the college preparatory courses for one year before pursuing major studies. Only after passing the examinations of the college preparatory course can they start their degree studies.
Type: undergraduate (Bachelors) or postgraduate (Masters or PhD)
- South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record.
- Available to study in Russia from September 2017
- Demonstrated interest in Russia and commitment to the development of South Africa.
- Applicants must have a minimum average of 60%
- All students must meet the minimum academic requirements for entry into a similar programme at a South African university.
Selection Criteria: The Department of Higher Education and Training is facilitating the scholarship application process. It is the responsibility of each applicant to do research into available programmes, institutions and programme-specific entrance criteria.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The Russian Government provides the following:
- – Tuition,
- – Basic monthly allowance
The South African Government provides the following (subject to the availability of funds):
- – One return economy airfare
- – Monthly living allowance
- – Annual medical insurance
Successful scholarship applicants will be required to sign a contract and return to South Africa upon completion of studies.
How to Apply: The application process is two-fold:
- Complete the DHET application form and email it with all supporting documents to [email protected] by 01 April 2017.
- Shortlisted candidate will be required to complete the Russian Scholarship application online at www.russia.study and submit a completed medical examination form (medical tests to be done at applicants own cost). Only candidates who are notified that they are shortlisted need to complete the online application and undergo a medical test.
By email: Subject: Russia Scholarship Application, [Your surname]
If attachments exceed 3MB, they will not be received. Please contact us regarding an alternative means to submit.
Enquiries: email: [email protected]
Award Provider: Government of Russia, South African Government
- Do not submit any other documents not requested.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Medical examination documents are not required with your initial application. Only recommended candidates will be requested to submit medical examination documents including HIV/AIDs test results after interviews have been conducted.