The BBC World News Komla Dumor Award will be made to an outstanding individualliving and working in Africa, who combines strong journalism skills, on air flair, and an exceptional talent in telling African stories with the ambition and potential to become a star of the future.
Application Deadline: 15th March 2017
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): London, UK
About the Award: Komla Dumor was a journalist of Africa.His passion was to tell African stories to the world with honesty and integrity. Its a legacy that the BBC wants to continue.
Type: Contest, Journalist
Eligibility: To apply for this prestigious award, you must be currently living and working as a journalist in Africa with 3 to 10 years experience as a professional journalist in Africa. You must also have the following skills and experience:
- Excellent journalism skills, including in digital and social media.
- Broadcasting experience is preferable.
- An excellent broadcasting voice and strong presenting skills with the ability to perform at the microphone with flair.
- The ability to identify and pitch a strong original African story idea, aligned to the BBC editorial guidelines
- Wide and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the African continent, including politics, business, culture, history and sport.
- Fluency in English as a first or equivalent language.
Additional requirements for all applicants
- You must provide a CV (maximum two pages) / complete a careers hub profile.
- You must hold or be able to obtain by 1st March 2017a passport that is valid until at least 31st January 2018.
- You must not be a current or former member of BBC staff.
- If successful, your employer must be willing to release you for three months from September 2017for you to travel on your own to take up your placement in London.
- The visa requires that you hold a degree or are studying towards a degree equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree from a recognised university.
- References, proof of employment, birth certificate, passport, an appropriate UK visa and proof of level of English will be required from shortlisted candidates.
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Program: The winner of the BBC World News Komla Dumor award will receive a once-in-a-lifetime training and development opportunity with the BBC in London, starting in early September 2017and running for three months. Working with teams from across BBC News, the winner will produce an African story for the BBC and have their story and their voice shared across the continent and the world. They will be supported by a high-level BBC mentor and attend courses run by the BBCs world-class training department, the BBC Academy.
The BBC will pay for the winners flights to and from the UK and for their visa. We will also arrange and pay for the winners accommodation in London during their placement. The winner will receive 2,000 per month for the three month placement to cover their living expenses and a one-off payment of 5,000 as a contribution towards loss of salary in their home country. Some of the above may be subject to taxation (and deductions will be made as appropriate).
Award Provider: BBC