Do you have a passion for journalism? Are you a blogger, writer, generally-enthusiastic and curious being? Do you have what it takes to lead your industry? Future News Worldwide is a partnership programme between the British Council and some of the world’s leading media organisations for students.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Edinburgh, Scotland.
About the Award: The annual conference brings together 100 student journalists from across the world for 2 days of intensive learning and training on all aspects of journalism. With exclusive access to some of world’s leading editors, broadcasters and reporters it’s a unique opportunity to network and gain insight into the changing ways news is delivered.
The programme centres around a 2-day annual conference which will take place at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, on 6th and 7th July 2017. With English as the working language, the conference offers aspiring young journalists from across the world the opportunity to develop practical and editorial skills and hear directly from some of the world’s most high-profile industry leaders.
The conference will be a mixture of talks, interactive panel sessions, workshops, and hands-on experiences. A full agenda will be released in the coming months.
Post-conference, a year-round global alumni network will support attendees to engage with one another, implement their learning and continue their professional development.
Type: Events and Conferences/Training
Eligibility: If you’re a student who’s passionate about journalism then we want to hear from you. Whether you’re a writer, blogger, vlogger, photographer, radio journalist or work in any other kind of media you can apply for a place at Future News Worldwide 2017 as long as you meet all of the eligibility requirements below.
To apply for a place at Future News Worldwide 2017 you must be:
- Aged 18-25 on 1st July 2017
- A registered university undergraduate student (or have graduated within the last year)
- Dedicated to a career in journalism, in any form
- Able to travel to the UK for the conference on 6th and 7th July 2017
- A native speaker of English OR be able to speak English at the equivalent level of IELTS level 6.5 or above
- All applicants must complete an online form designed to test their passion, enthusiasm and journalistic skills. The form has been designed to allow applicants to respond in whichever media format suits them best; written, video, audio or still image.
- Applications will be assessed by representatives from the Future News Worldwide partnership and successful delegates will be awarded a place at the conference.
Number of Program: 100
Value of Scholarship: The conference is fully funded, with the British Council covering the following costs for successful delegates:
- Conference costs
- Travel to and from Edinburgh (including visas if applicable)
- Meals and accommodation
Any other costs, such as spending money or tourism, must be borne by the delegates.
Duration of Program: Future News Worldwide is a 2-day event, taking place on 6th and 7th July 2017. Successful delegates must be available to attend both days of the conference.
5th July – Delegates arrive in Edinburgh
6th July – Conference Day 1
7th July – Conference Day 2
8th July – Tourism day (optional), or departure from Edinburgh
9th July – Remaining delegates depart Edinburgh
A full conference agenda will be posted in the coming months
How to Apply: All applicants must complete an online application form. The form is composed of contact details and eligibility questions, followed by two questions designed to test your journalistic skills and interests. You can read these two questions from the link below.
Award Provider: British Council
Important Notes: Please note it is not possible to save your work whilst completing the form, so we recommend composing your answers to these questions offline then copy and pasting into the form.