The HSAFP seeks to expand its reach to institutions and organizations across South Africa in a continued effort to draw the broadest possible range of candidates for the program. In addition, the University – reflecting the current South African constitution – has expanded its applicant pool to extend to all South Africans, regardless of ethnicity or race.
Application Deadline: 28th February, 2017
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country): United States
About the Award: The HSAFP was conceived largely to provide educational enrichment for men and women in mid-career, that is, individuals in various occupations who have shown considerable skill in their chosen fields and leadership and are expected to benefit from advanced training.
- Candidates who have just completed, or who have not yet completed, a first degree are not selected unless this degree has been pursued concurrently with, or subsequent to, experience in the workplace.
- Fellows usually range in age from 30 to 45 years.
- Fellows must be South African citizens.
- Applicants should determine well in advance whether, if awarded a fellowship, they can be granted leave by their employers for Harvard’s academic year. They should generally plan to be in residence at Harvard from September until June. However, some programs require fellows to begin residence on July 1st.
- No candidate should accept an interview unless assured that such leave will be granted. The Center does not wish to assign fellowships to anyone who subsequently finds it impossible to use the opportunity.
Selection Process: Fellows submit their applications directly to the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program at Harvard University. A committee of HSAFP alumni, Center staff and the CAS Faculty Director will interview the short-listed applicants in South Africa. Successful candidates must then apply to and be admitted at the specific Harvard school where they intend to study.
Number of Awardees: Usually 6 fellowships are awarded
Value of Fellowship: General administrative funds for program management, stipends, housing and airfare for the fellow are provided to successful candidates.
How to Apply: Submit the 2017 HSAFP Application.
It is important to go through the Application Requirements before applying for this Fellowship.
Award Provider: Harvard University Center for African Studies
Important Notes: Applicants will hear in late June 2017 if they have been selected as a finalist. Interviews in South Africa will take place in early June 2017 and later that month finalists can expect to be notified if they have been selected as a Harvard South Africa Fellow.