Of all of the millions of subjects you can read about on Wikipedia, subjects relating to Africa have the least coverage. This is because of a number of reasons, but mostly because many people do not know that they can donate their images, videos and audio. Wiki Loves Africa needs your help to show the richness, difference and beauty of Africa. Take part in the competition by taking photographs, video or audio that promote Africa’s rich heritage and culture expressed through music, song, dance, and movement.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: The 2016 theme is: Music and Dance. The competition scope is: submissions that promote Africa’s rich heritage and culture expressed through music, song, dance, and movement.
Wiki Loves Africa is a photo competition to share the daily practices of people across the continent with each other and the rest of the world, via Wikipedia.
Wiki Loves Africa is a public annual photo contest where people across Africa can contribute media (photographs, video and audio) about their environment on Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any such universal, visually rich and culturally specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
Eligibility: Images submitted to the Wiki Loves Africa contest may win prizes! There are a few rules to respect for the images to be eligible.
- Rule 1: All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be either self-uploaded or uploaded during a registered mass upload session.
- Rule 2: Upload can only be done in December 2016 and January 2017. But you can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs).
- Rule 3: Images must be free of watermarks or embedded signatures to be eligible. All entries will automatically be submitted under a free licence such as Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or in the public domain). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Rule 4: All eligible pictures will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2016, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process.
- Rule 5: Participants should enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so they can be contacted should their image be chosen for a prize.
Value of Contest:
- 1st prize: US$600 + see below
- 2nd prize: US$400 + see below
- 3rd prize: US$200 + see below
- Community Prize: US$200 + see below
Each winner will also receive a year’s subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan, and a portable power pack.
Duration of Contest: 2 months
How to Apply: Entering Wiki Loves Africa Music and Dance is easy! Follow these 4 steps:
- Step 1: Take some photos.
- Step 2: Select the best.
- Step 3: Create an account on Commons to take part. Register here.
- Step 4: Use the Upload Wizard to enter your photographs.
Award Provider: Wikimedia