The Faculty of Science and its alumni association Science@Leuven are proud to announce the Science@Leuven Scholarships for the 2017/2018 academic session! The Science@Leuven Scholarships are for motivated and talented international students who are interested in participating in an international master programme of the Faculty of Science of the K.U.Leuven.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Eligible Fields of Study: Eligible International Master Programme under the Faculty of Science at K.U. Leuven:
• Master of Astronomy and Astrophysics
• Master of Biology
• Master of Biophysics, Biochemistry and Biotechnology
• Master of Chemistry
• Master of Geography
• Master of Mathematics
• Master of Physics
• Master of Statistics
• Interuniversity Master of Geology (only students applying for the specialisation Geodynamics and Georesources or Surface processes and Paleoenvironments can apply for the scholarship)
• Erasmus Mundus Master of Theoretical Chemistry and Computational Modelling
• Erasmus Mundus Master Sustainable and Territorial Development
Eligibility: Candidates must meet and prove the following requirements:
• the applicants have not studied or worked at the University of Leuven before,
• the applicants have a bachelor degree from a foreign university that gives them access to the master programme they are applying for,
• the applicants have not yet acquired a master degree or a PhD,
• the applicants can prove having had excellent study results during their former training,
• the applicants can prove a very strong knowledge of English,
• the applicants show strong motivation to follow a master programme at the Faculty of Science of the K.U.Leuven
• the applicants are willing to act as an ambassador for the programme.
Selection: The selection procedure involves several steps:
- The applicants go through the admission procedure of the Master Programme of their choice. Only students admitted to a Master Programme of the Faculty of Science are considered for the scholarship.
- The applicants with a complete file and meeting all the necessary requirements are selected for the first round.
- The list of applicants per master programme is sent to the respective programme director who ranks the students eligible for the Scholarship.
- The selection committee receives the list of the selected applicants per programme and agrees on a ranking of all the applicants.
- The selection committee selects a number of students to be interviewed via skype.
- The selected applicants are interviewed via skype
- The selection committee makes a final ranking of all the candidates that have been interviewed.
- The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund defines how many scholarships are available and awards the scholarships.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The amount of the scholarship can be up to 10.000 Euro for 1 year. The scholarship will always cover the tuition fee for 1 year, the insurance and a basic health insurance coverage. The amount awarded for living expenses can vary.
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year. Most master programmes of the Faculty of Science are 2-year programmes. The scholarship for the second master year will be only be continued for students having had outstanding results the first master year.
How to Apply:
- Applicants have to apply for the master programme of their choice through the application form of the KU Leuven.
- The applicants note in the application form that they want to apply for the Science@Leuven Scholarship.
- After having completed the application form of the official KULeuven application page, applicants register here. The id-account asked is the same account as on the application form of the KU Leuven.
- Additional to the information required by the KU Leuven, the applicants also upload the following information through their application form of the KU Leuven:
- a complete list of course titles for which they have obtained a credit Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result they obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale; if a different scale is used, please provide an summary explanation on the meaning of the scores;
- for the courses that they deem most relevant as a preparation for the master that they are considering, provide a short (about one half to one page) description according to the standard guidelines for an ECTS-study guide;
- two reference letters of internationally renowned professors;
- a letter of motivation for the programme.
Award Provider: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Only students who have complied with all the above requirements will be considered for the Scholarship!
- Students have to register both through the application webpage of the KU Leuven and this website to be considered for selection.
- The selection committee only considers students who have been accepted in the master programme.