Michelin North America, Inc. (“Michelin”) is proud to announce the annual Michelin Challenge Design to celebrate, promote, publicize and give visibility to original creative thinking and innovation in vehicle design.
Application Deadline: 1st June, 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Online, Detroit, USA
- OEM design studios
- Independent design studios
- Individual designers
- Academic Transportation Design students and teams
- Automotive suppliers
About the Award: The 2018 Michelin Challenge Design invites you to design a revolutionary pickup truck with the size, performance, versatility and distinctive new features that will dramatically increase sales by appealing to new customers and regions of the world that you identify.
By embracing and supporting design, Michelin aims to establish a closer relationship with the design community, combining technical innovation with transportation design to create vehicles that consumers want to buy and will enjoy driving. Michelin challenges the international design community, individuals, small and large companies and universities, to enthusiastically create innovative and aesthetically pleasing design solutions that will meet the theme requirements of the Michelin Challenge Design 2018.
Originally created as work vehicles for farmers, contractors, and delivery; pickup trucks have evolved to provide growing appeal as open bedded personal vehicles for an increasingly wide range of users.
Today, changing lifestyles, work needs and economics are creating greater opportunities for pickup designs in varying shapes, sizes and capabilities to meet these growing new market segments around the world.
- Michelin Challenge Design is open to residents of any country. Parents or legal guardians of entrants less than the age of majority in their state, province or country must sign the MCD Questionnaire and the MCD Entry Form. Michelin Challenge Design is void where prohibited by law. All entries for the Michelin Challenge Design must be received by August 1 of the previous year.
- Employees of Michelin, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, distributors, suppliers, agents, representatives, advertising, promotional or judging agencies, authorized Michelin tire dealers and distributors, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household, or anyone working on this project, are not eligible to participate.
- By participating you agree to be bound by the Rules and Procedures of this challenge and by the decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and of Michelin, whose decisions shall be final and binding in all respects. Any entries or displays may be withdrawn or declined for any reason at any time.
- Entrants must include all data and information and fulfill all requirements as required by the Michelin Challenge Design Rules and Procedures and Entry Form in order for the entry to be valid. Entrants must provide all data and information that is accurate and complete. If more than one person designed an entry, all designer names must appear on the “Designer(s) Name(s)” portion of the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form.
- Student designers who are working with an engineering department, at a university, are required to take the lead role in the development of any submitted work. This means that the designer has final say to all technical questions that will have an impact on the functional and aesthetic result of the design work.
Your entry should address:
- What makes your design revolutionary?
- Who is the customer?
- What innovations have you incorporated into your design?
- What region of the world have you chosen? Why?
- How will your design appeal to them and what needs does it recognize?
Selection Criteria: Jury evaluates based on the following:
- Relevance to the theme
- Concept originality
- Design value and quality
- Developmental potential
- Design displayability
Value of Contest:
- Roundtrip coach airfare to Detroit to attend 2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS-Detroit) for the sole designer or, in the case of a team design, one team representative. Michelin will book the airfare on your behalf; any guests will be at your expense.
- Up to Five (5*) nights hotel accommodations in Detroit for NAIAS, including hotel internet service, room rate and taxes at a Michelin-selected hotel. You will be responsible for all other incidentals, and the hotel will ask for a credit card to cover any charges other than room, internet, and taxes.**
- Michelin-arranged transportation from Detroit Metro Airport to Detroit hotel upon arrival and from Detroit hotel to Detroit Metro Airport at departure***
- Travel Visa: If required and you provide Michelin with your receipt, Michelin will reimburse you the expense. This does not apply to passport fees.
- Daily per diem of $50.00 USD/day* (maximum of $250.00 USD) for meals and miscellaneous expenses, available for you at check in to your hotel in the form of a VISA® gift card.
- Entry credentials for Press Days and Industry Preview days at NAIAS (January 2018)
- Invitation to attend and recognition at the private Michelin Designer’s Reception – the Monday night during press days at NAIAS – highlighted by the exposure to NAIAS, media, designers and other winners.
- Private Portfolio Review with some members of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury
- Recognition on www.michelinchallengedesign.com web site
- Recognition on www.cardesignnews.com web site
- Inclusion in Michelin Challenge Design promotional materials and events throughout the year
- Invitation to join a new Michelin Challenge Design Alumni website
- Michelin Challenge Design may also recognize a select number of entries for Honorable Mention which will be publicized on the Michelin Challenge Design and Car Design News web sites.
How to Apply:
- No purchase necessary to participate.
- Completed entries will be accepted via Mail, Fax or Internet.
- For Internet entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and submit the online Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form with all accompanying required materials.
- For mail entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and mail it to: Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 3150 Livernois, Suite # 175, Troy, MI 48083
- For fax entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and fax it and all accompanying required materials to 248-687-7507
- Entry forms must be accompanied by photographs, drawings and/or computer-generated images.
- Incomplete entry forms are subject to disqualification.
Award Provider: Michelin