The Facebook Emerging Scholar Award is open to first or second year PhD students who are members of a minority group that is underrepresented in the technology sector. The award is open to students at universities in the US and abroad who are enrolled during the current academic year and studying computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system architecture, or a related area.
- Application Opens: November 1, 2016
- Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
Eligible Candidates: The Facebook Emerging Scholar Award is provided for first and second year PhD students who are underrepresented minorities in the technology industry.
To be taken at (country): US
About the Award: The Facebook Emerging Scholar Award is provided for first and second year PhD students who are underrepresented minorities in the technology industry.
For the purpose of theFacebook Emerging Scholar award, underrepresented minority group is considered to include persons who identify as: Black or African American, person having origins in any Black racial groups of Africa; Hispanic or Latino, person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South American, Central American, Caribbean, or other Spanish culture origin, regardless of race; Native American or Alaskan Native, person having origins in any of the original peoples of North, Central, or South America and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment; Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, person having origins in the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa or other Pacific Islands.
- You must be currently enrolled in your first or second year of a PhD program to apply.
- All applicants will need to use their Facebook account to apply.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be evaluated based on the strength of the student’s proposed research and their recommendation letters.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
- Payment of tuition and fees for two academic years
- $37,000 annual stipend
- Up to $5,000 towards conference travel funds
How to Apply:
- Research Statement: 1-2 page research summary
- Resume or CV with email, phone and mailing address, along with applicable coursework noted
- Two letters of recommendation (Please provide reference email addresses): Advisor and one Professional reference (can be from academia or industry)
Award Provider: Facebook