The IWMF Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories, sponsored by The Secular Society, is a new funding initiative supporting journalism produced by and about women to provide opportunities for women journalists to pursue international stories of importance through gender-sensitive coverage of underreported topics.
Application Deadline: 1st December, 2016 for April 2017 funding
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Applicant’s Home Country
About the Award: In an era of increased globalization, the need for varied coverage of gendered topics is critical to a free and representative press. These grants will be a catalyst for reporting on untold stories surrounding issues that impact women and girls’ daily lives worldwide.
Through programs, fellowships, and grants the IWMF empowers women journalists with the training, support, and network to become leaders in the news industry. The IWMF recognizes that promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media is critical to transparency and that women journalists remain underrepresented in both media organizations and bylines across the world.
Consequently, stories about women and the issues that affect their lives remain severely underreported. The IWMF’s Reporting Grants on Women’s Stories initiative empowers journalists to access untold stories through new means of funding that emphasizes gender balanced reporting.
The Secular Society’s support for gender equity through independent reporting grants highlights the need to provide women journalists with more robust funding opportunities to pursue journalism in the public interest.
The Secular Society believes that all governmental activities and those of religious organizations should be separate; they also hold that all religious beliefs are equally valid and their expression must be treated with tolerance and respect.
Journalism funded by the IWMF’s Grants for Women’s Stories will contribute to the larger conversation about secularism’s role globally and focus on the challenges faced by women in a non-secular world.
- Women journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Professional Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience.
- All answers and documents must be in English. Due to the high volume of applications we cannot answer questions by phone. Please review the application guide and frequently asked questions on our website prior to beginning this application.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Contest:
- Grants will average $5,000 USD.
- Grants will be awarded to cover reporting-related costs including travel (flights, ground transportation, drivers), logistics, visa fees, and payment for fixers/translators.
How to Apply:
- All applications must be filled out online via the IWMF’s online application system.
Award Provider: The Secular Society
- The IWMF will accept applications on a rolling basis with twice-yearly cutoffs. Please keep this is mind when creating proposed project timelines.
- Due to the large influx of applications, the IWMF can no longer consider time sensitive proposals. Please refer to the application deadline (above) for application.
- Applicants may apply for concurrently for Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories and the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.