Gender in Agribusiness Investments in Africa (GAIA) has opened applications for its GAIA AgTech Innovation Challenge in East Africa, aimed at supporting female-run startups in the agriculture space.
Application Deadline: 9th March, 2017
West Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo
North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia
To be taken at (country): Nairobi, Kenya
About the Programme: GAIA is pleased to announce that Gender in Agribusiness Investments in Africa (GAIA) is now accepting applications from institutions and enterprises for the 2017 GAIA AgTech Innovation Challenge. GAIA has been launched by AWARD to increase agribusiness investments in technological and business model innovations that benefit African women value chain actors. Do you have a big idea that has been piloted successfully in East Africa that focuses on:
- Closing yield gaps in crop and livestock value chains
- Reducing post-harvest losses
- Improving agri-market efficiencies
We are looking for institutions and business enterprises with innovations spanning the research-to-commercialization continuum, and those addressing business model re-invention.
GAIA is looking for enterprises that are women-led or have women managers, have a clear for-profit business model with high potential for scale, have some proof of concept on the ground, have conducted pilots and are preferably generating revenues.
Type: Entrepreneurship Pitch Programme
Eligibility: AWARD GAIA is looking for enterprises that:
- Serve the agriculture or allied sectors;
- Demonstrate clear benefits to groups that are often marginalized in agriculture including women smallholder farmers and other women value chain actors;
- Have an innovative technology or business model;
- Have a clear for-profit business model with high potential for scale;
- Have some proof of concept on the ground, conducted pilots and are preferably generating revenues;
- Are seeking funding to commercialize or scale.
Number of Awardees: 20
Value of Programme: Winners will benefit from participation in an intensive, 2-day boot camp, which will culminate in a showcase to potential investors, partners, and other key players in the agriculture sector.
Duration of Programme: The top 25 companies will participate in an in-depth boot camp, and then be showcased to investors, incubators, and other support organizations in Accra, Ghana from March 29-31, 2017.
To apply, please complete this application form;
Award Provider: AWARD