The Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA) has recently opened for entries from all over the world for the 2017-2018 cycle, themed “The Moment“.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Submissions would be made Online. Please read on receiving prize money in link below.
About the Award: The Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA) is an independent award established in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, in order to encourage and spread the culture of photography across the world.
- ‘The Moment’ will be the main theme of the Seventh Season of competition.
We request that photographers, for a short while, forget the past and ignore the future to be fully immersed in ‘The Moment’. Photographers must delve deep into the madness and spontaneity of the present when capturing their photographs for HIPA’s Seventh Season main category.
The biggest surprise of this season is the launch of video submissions for the Seventh Season of competition. The new ‘Time-lapse’ category, introduces an exciting phase in the competition which targets a new segment of the creative community.
For a second season in succession, the ‘Portfolio’ category returns, having attracted a total of 33,950 photographs in its inaugural edition. Likewise, the ‘General’ category will once again delve into the creative minds of photographers, affording them a full remit to express themselves through black and white or coloured submissions.
Special Awards will also be given this season:
- Photography Apperciation Award
- The Photography Content Creator Award
- Emerging Person/Organisation in Photography Award
Eligible Fields: The competition categories for HIPA 2017/2018 are as follows:
- The Moment – The moment is that split second occurrence that could happen in the blink of an eye and yet have a profound visual effect if captured properly. Such instances often have the magical ability to alter a person’s life and his or her surroundings forever.
- Portfolio – The challenge here lies in imagining the desired setting of the photographs before capturing them in separate frames that would tell the story on their behalf.
- General – This category remains as attractive as ever for photographers who have an outstanding eye for photography that doesn’t necessarily fall into any of the other categories.
- Time-Lapse – If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is limitless.
Offered Since: 2011
- Participants must be individuals aged eighteen (18) years and over at the time of their submission(s).
- The same photo must not be submitted in more than One (1) category. Any photo submitted in more than one (1) category will be discarded from the competition.
- Participants are requested to submit the raw/original camera files at the same time of submitting their photographs.
- Black and white photographs are permitted in all the categories of the Competition except for the Color sub category under the General category.
- For the Portfolio category, you are requested to submit a series of photographs on the same subject matter. The number of permitted photographs is minimum 5 and maximum 10 photographs.
Number of Awardees: 24
Value of Contest:
- Overall winner wins Grand Prize of $120,000.
- Cash prizes exist for each category.
- Monetary benefits will also be given for the Special Awards this season.
- See Contest Webpage for details of Awards
How to Apply: You can submit photos through the official HIPA website www.hipa.ae
It is important to read other eligibilities and contest application requirements before applying.
Award Provider: The Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA)