The Rackham graduate school at the University of Michigan is offering fellowship opportunities to international students wishing to undertake PhD and Master’s programmes.
Application Deadline: 15th April, 2017.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): USA
Eligible Field of Study: Various
About the Award: The Rackham Merit Fellowship (RMF) Program helps sustain the academic excellence and inclusiveness of the Michigan graduate community, one that embraces students with diverse experiences and goals, and who come from many educational, cultural, geographic, and familial backgrounds. By offering financial assistance to those students who might not otherwise have access, we aim to reduce disparities in graduate education. We also aim to promote the values of diversity and inclusion by encouraging the admission and funding of students who represent a broad array of life experiences and perspectives, because this enhances the quality of the intellectual environment for all students.
Type: PhD and Master’s fellowship
Eligibility: The Rackham Merit Fellowship is open to newly admitted students in a Rackham graduate degree program who:
- Have a record of superior academic achievement (e.g., grade point average, honors, or other designation);
- Are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA)
And meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Come from an educational, cultural or geographic background that is underrepresented in graduate study in their discipline in the United States or at the University of Michigan;
- Have demonstrated a sustained commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm through their work experience, volunteer engagement, or leadership of student or community organizations. By diversity, we mean in the U.S. to reduce social, educational or economic disparities based on race, ethnicity or gender, or to improve race relations in the U.S.;
- Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances;
- Are first-generation U.S. citizens or are the first generation in their families to graduate from a four-year college.
Selection Criteria: Students who have outstanding academic qualifications, show exceptional potential for scholarly success in their graduate program, and demonstrate promise for contributing to wider academic, professional, or civic communities.
Graduate students do not apply directly for the RMF, but are nominated by faculty in their graduate program.
Value of Scholarship:
- Tuition, stipend, health and dental coverage, during each fall and winter semester, with select summer stipend and benefits.
- The stipend level is currently $9,869 per semester as at previous academic year.
- Appointments are also usually given (typically in the form of a fellowship, traineeship, GSRA or GSI)
Duration of Scholarship: For Ph.D. students, the RMF is typically 5 years of funding. For Masters, 2 semesters.
How to Apply:
Award Provider: The Rackham graduate school