Applications are now open for the University of Notre Dame’s Master of Fine Arts Creative Writing scholarship. Since 2015 the program has offered a full scholarship to every student it accepts.
Application Deadline: 2nd January, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Home and International countries
To be taken at (country): USA
Eligible Field of Study: In addition to workshop and the preparation of a booklength thesis, candidates choose from Notre Dame’s wide selection of graduate courses, including gender studies, art and art history, book arts, languages and literatures, film, television and theater. To complement their classes and writing projects, MFA candidates work on literary journals and presses, teach, facilitate outreach programs with our community partners, interact with visiting authors and artists, and conduct a reading series of their own.
About the Award: Each year, Notre Dame University offers every admitted student full funding in the form of a tuition scholarship and a fellowship which comes with a stipend and responsibilities in the following areas: Publications (Notre Dame Review or the international press Action Books); Outreach (includes facilitating projects at the Juvenile Justice Center, Robinson Community Center and area schools, as well as on- and off-campus events); and Teaching (all teaching is in creative writing, not comp).
Lasting two years, the Notre Dame MFA Creative Writing scholarship Programme describes itself as offering “an intense, stimulating immersion in the many ways an author might shape, support and inform a 21st century writing life.” The program incorporates workshops, literature courses and the writing of a full-length manuscript.
Each application to the program must be accompanied by a writing sample of approximately thirty pages of prose or twenty pages of poetry. Admissions are based primarily on the writing sample and letters of recommendation.
Offered Since: 2015
Type: Masters scholarship and Fellowship
- Admission to the Creative Writing scholarship programme is based primarily on the writing sample and letters of recommendation. All writing professors consider the writing samples from all applications for their particular genre. It is by far the most important part of the application.
- However, you must also be accepted by the University of Notre Dame Graduate School, which requires a minimum GPA of 3.0. Exceptions can be made for outstanding writing samples.
Number of Awardees: 8-9 students
Value of Scholarship: Every student admitted to the MFA receives:
1) a full tuition scholarship
2) a fellowship which carries a full stipend (currently $12,500 per year) and responsibilities in the areas of publications, outreach projects, and/or teaching creative writing (NOT comp)
3) access to a 100% health insurance subsidy
Duration of Scholarship: 2 years
How to Apply: There is an application fee of $75; however, a limited number of need-based application fee waivers are available.
Award Provider: Notre Dame University