Brief description: Education Pathways International offers university scholarships to Ghanaian student of great financial need who, on the basis of academic achievement, intelligence, personal recommendations, and other supporting materials, can be considered “gifted.”
Application Deadline: 2nd September, 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Ghana
To be taken at (country): Ghana- University of Ghana, Accra or Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
Field of Study: Any
About the Award: EPI only accepts applications from students accepted and registered at the University of Ghana, Accra or Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi. Prospective candidates are required to visit the Student Aid office at one of these universities at the start of the fall semester to see if they qualify.
Scholarships are highly competitive and require the submission of a formal application which includes written essays describing why the applicant feels he/she should be considered for the program and how upon graduation he/she will make a difference within his or her home country. Finalists are interviewed by a panel consisting of EPI staff and personnel from the university they will be attending. Awards are granted once a year in the fall.
Type: Undergraduate scholarship
Eligibility: EPI recruits highly motivated, talented and deserving students, all of whom have overcome extraordinary challenges to complete secondary school. The characteristics EPI seeks in scholarship recipients include:
- Demonstration of academic achievement and intelligence (including grades and achievement tests, academic awards and honors, substantive assessments by teachers, including letters of recommendation, as well as possession of a high number of characteristics outlined in EPI’s definition of Gifted Children (see resource material)
- Unmet financial need (extremely limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover most or all educational-related expenses)
- The will to succeed (determination, perseverance, and success in other pursuits)
- The ability to express oneself in writing
- Focused career goals
- Acceptance in one of EPI’s alliance universities
Selection Criteria: The program is bottoms up, in that each of the recipients makes a pledge to excel academically, engage in extra-curricular activities that provide community service, and act as a role model for the youth in their community.
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Scholarship:
- In addition to a fulltime scholarship, EPI provides comprehensive counseling, guidance and support in such areas of academic performance, career development, language skills, women’s empowerment, and leadership.
- Upon graduation, EPI also requires all award recipients to work for a minimum of two years at an endeavor of their choice within their home country.
Duration of Scholarship: Yearly. Scholarships are renewable annually for the duration of the student’s degree program, providing the recipient maintains a grade point average of B or above.
How to Apply: The following application is to be submitted to the Student Aid office of the University of Ghana, Accra or Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi only after pre-qualification. EPI does not review any applications directly.
Award Provider: Education Pathways International