Brief description: PIVOT is excited to officially announce the open call for applications for the PIVOT East 2016 edition.
Application Deadline: 8th September, 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Burundi, Somalia or DR Congo
To be taken at (country): Kenya
Eligible Categories: The competition has five categories which are; Finance, Enterprise, Entertainment, Utilities and Society and Governance.
About the Award: PIVOT East is Africa’s biggest startups competition and conference held annually since 2011. The competition comprises of a series of activities that will culminate in the finalists conference which will be held on 15th November 2016. The conference is organized by m:lab East Africa an initiative of the iHub.
PIVOT East aims to catalyse the growth of startups, so as to amplify and consolidate the gains of East Africa’s digital entrepreneurship ecosystem. The key objective for this year’s event is “to facilitate discovery of the next wave of high potential startups in the region”.
Offered Since: 2011
Eligibility: Eligibility criteria to participate in PIVOT East 2016:
- Participating startups must be domiciled in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Burundi, Somalia or DR Congo
- Entries to the competition will be considered to be startups as per the universal definition of a “startup”* or a startup company (*as done below)
- Participating startups must indicate details of at least two members of their team in their application profile
- Competitors selected to the final 25 list must have set up a legal entity (business name, limited company etc) for their business by 8th September 2016. Competitors with legal entities already set up will have an added advantage at all judging stages.
- Decisions of the judging committees at all competition stages will be final.
Selection Criteria: Applications to compete in 2016 will be entered as detailed startup profiles which describe the customer pain, the startups solution, revenue streams, team composition and commitment, market traction, short-term projections and milestones among other aspects. The overall startup profile will be used by the competition judges who will mostly be investors to score the potential of the startup to become a sustainable high growth enterprise.
Number of Awardees: 25. Each category will feature five finalists who will pitch to an audience of Investors, Development Partners, Government Representatives, Telecom Operators and other key stakeholders from East Africa.
Value of Contest: The 25 finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to investors.
How to Apply: Startups that meet the eligibility criteria may enter their application into the competition through the following steps :-
- Go to VC4Africa platform (vc4a.com) and set up your startup profile
- If you already have a startup profile on VC4Africa, go straight to www.pivoteast.com/apply2016
- Curate your Startup profile according to given profile headings
- Ensure that you upload a short (max 5 mins) video of the founders expressing the mission and strength of their startups on the VC4Africa profile.
Applicants are advised to use all components available under the profiles section to best describe their strengths and potential for growth.
Award Provider: PIVOT East
Important Notes: Startups that reached final 25 lists of PIVOT 2011, PIVOT 2012 ,PIVOT 2013, PIVOT 2014, and PIVOT 2015 may not compete with products/services previously submitted for the competition.