Brief description: The Centre of African Studies, School of African Studies(SOAS) University of London offers 1 PhD and 3 Masters scholarships to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
Application Deadline: 30th April 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of London, UK
Eligible Fields of Study:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- MA African Studies
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
About the Award: The Mo Ibrahim Foundation has generously provided SOAS with one PhD and 3 Masters scholarships per year for African students undertaking a full‐time PhD and Masters programme in the field of Governance for Development in Africa.
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an unconditional offer for studies by applying directly to the School of African Studies. Once the place is secured, the candidates can apply for the scholarship.
Type: Masters (MSc/MA) and PhD Research
Eligibility: Candidates must be domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country. Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub‐Saharan Africa.
Selection Criteria: Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
Number of Awardees:
- PhD: 1
- Masters: 3
Value of Scholarship:
- PhD: The scholarship is on a part‐present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only. The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights : one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva). In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000. We also cover visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office. We expect students to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
- Masters: The scholarship provides for fees, visa costs, one return flight, accommodation at SOAS’ students hall and £8000 living cost for the year.
Duration of Scholarship:
- PhD: 3 years
- Masters: 1 year
How to Apply: Please provide the following documents by email to [email protected]:
- complete application form (see pdf attached on the right side of this page)
- a copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
Award Provider: Mo Ibrahim Foundation, School of Africa Studies (SOAS) University of London
Important Notes: CAS reserves the right not to award scholarships and will only award them where there are applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards and with demonstrable interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.