Brief description: The UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations is organising virtual and in-person training on Peace for women and is offering these women from the Global South limited scholarships to attend the in-person training.
Application Deadline: 31st August, 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Group: Early career women from various fields from the Global South (Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East). It is not required to have previous knowledge of the issues of disarmament, non-proliferation and development.
To be taken at (country): Cairo, Egypt for African countries; and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the Middle East.
Field of Study: This on-line and in-person course introduces participants to key conceptual and practical aspects of disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues, such as:
- Weapons of mass destruction
- Conventional weapons
- Disarmament and development
- Gender and disarmament
- Peace and development-related technologies
- Induction courses about entities contributing to disarmament, non-proliferation and development, such as the IAEA, CTBTO, OPCW, etc.
About the Award: The Women Scholarship for Peace: Global South is an initiative coordinated by the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations whose work contribute to disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues. A total of 140 scholarships are made available to facilitate participation of women from the Global South at the training courses.
- A Women Scholarship for Peace entails financial support for an early career woman from the Global South to take training courses about peace and development-related areas.
- A total of 140 scholarships are available, covering all costs of registration and participation at the training courses.
- Applications now open for: Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East (105 scholarships)
Type: Short courses/Training
What do participants need to follow the training courses?
- a computer or mobile device, with audio
- reliable internet connection
- no special software is required
- travel to the in-person location for 5 working days to attend workshops and training sessions
- 22-32 years at the time of application
- Only candidates residing in their country of eligible nationality at the time of application will be considered.
- Nationals of Africa, Asia/Pacific and Middle East countries and territories are eligible
- Candidate must be Female
- The training courses will be conducted in English only.
- A university degree or equivalent qualifications (which could for example be constituted of a degree obtained with minimum 2 years of higher education, combined with relevant professional experience).
Selection process: All applicants are required to fill in the online application form. Further information will be required at a later stage by the Selection Committee. Priority will be given to nationals from Official Development Assistance recipient countries and territories, as defined by the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development. Selected participants will be informed at the end of September 2016 and will be requested to confirm their participation within 2 working days.
Number of Awardees: 105 for women from Africa, Asia/Pacific and Middle East. 4o out of this number to come from Africa alone.
Value of Scholarship:
Duration of Scholarship: The scholarship is for 1 week in-person training. However, the duration for the entire programme is outlined thus:
- 1 month introductory on-line training (about 20 hours)
- 1 week in-person training (about 40 hours)
- 1 month advanced on-line training (about 20 hours)
- Optional: 1 final examination essay to obtain university credits (about 40 hours)
How to Apply: Visit Scholarship Webpage to apply
Award Provider: UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA)