Brief description: In recognition of outstanding individuals and research teams from Africa and Europe, the prestigious international EDCTP awards are dedicated to the promotion of scientific research, improved health and Africa-European collaboration.
Application Deadline: 8th August 2016, 17:00 CET
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All countries in sub-Saharan Africa, EU and Horizon 2020 programme
To be taken at (country): Lusaka, Zambia
About the Award: EDCTP invites nominations to the following awards:
- Scientific Leadership Award is given to excellent world-class scientists in Africa up to 50 years of age
- Outstanding Female Scientist Award is given to excellent world-class female scientists residing in sub-Saharan Africa and working in research activities within the scope of the second EDCTP programme.
- Outstanding Research Teams Award is given to outstanding research teams in Africa and Europe working on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected infectious diseases in the scope of the second EDCTP programme.
Eligibility: The contestant must be a resident of a sub-Saharan African country, an European Union (EU) Member State, or a country associated to the Horizon 2020 programme.
Selection Criteria: All eligible applications will be evaluated by an Awards Panel. The awards will be given, after closure of the contest, to the contestant(s) who, in the opinion of the panel, best addresses the following criteria in their award category:
- Scientific Leadership Award: contestants have made significant achievements in their field and will continue to become leaders in their research field. In addition to their scientific excellence, the contestants should have made major contributions to the objectives of the EDCTP programme to strengthen research capacity in sub-Saharan Africa and to support South-South and North-South networking. This award has an age restriction of 50 years.
- Outstanding Female Scientist Award: the contestant must have been involved in research and innovation activities in sub-Saharan Africa within the scope of the second EDCTP programme. Contestants should have made a significant scientific contribution and built measurable impactful research capacity through training and mentorship for the future generation of researchers/scientists in Africa. This Award is restricted to female scientists and has no age restriction.
- Outstanding Research Team: this award recognises a consortium or group of partners who have achieved the goal of taking on EDCTP priority issues in poverty related diseases (PRDs). In collaboration, they have built effective and equitable South-North partnerships to answer the priority research questions, achieving high impact health-policy relevant deliverables, such as research data implemented into policy and practice, high impact publications and significant capacity and training outputs achieved in parallel with the local researchers in the settings where the research is actually done. Contestants should be actively involved in research, capacity development and networking in sub-Saharan Africa and Europe with outstanding achievements and scientific and policy impact in their respective fields.
Number of Awardees: 3 groups of awards to be given to an undefined number of contestants
Value of Contest:
- Scientific Leadership Award: This award consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of 10,000 Euros
- Outstanding Female Scientist Award: This award consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of 20,000 Euros.
- Outstanding Research Team Award: This award consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of 50,000 Euros.
Duration of Contest: The award ceremonies will take place at the Eighth EDCTP Forum from 6th – 9th November 2016.
How to Apply: Nominations must be submitted online via EDCTPgrants.
Award Provider: The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP)