Brief description: The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is offering a feminist coaching project on leadership for women in African women’s organisations with issues related to resource mobilisation, communications, governance, leadership transition, safety and wellbeing.
Application Deadline: 8th August, 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Africa
To be taken at (country):
- Participants’ home countries and
- Kenya: A 3 day CEO forum for orientation, skills sharing, strategy development and networking for participating leaders, coaches and AWDF, will be held in Kenya from 15- 17 November 2016.
Eligible Fields: The project is targeted at CEO/EDs/Programme Managers/Coordinators and those in second level management of AWDF grantee organisations within the age bracket of 18 – 45 years.
About the Award: This coaching project seeks to develop the individual leadership skills and values of participating CEOs/EDs as well as those in second level management. It is also aimed at strengthening the institutional and governance structures of participating organisations and providing an enabling framework fortheirrelevance and sustainability. At AWDF, we believe that a well-grounded leader in feminist values, ideology and clarity of purpose can accelerate the process of social justice and development effectively. Therefore, investment in both individual leaders and governance frameworks of African women’s rights organisations is vital.
Offered Since: 2013
Type: Events and Conferences
Eligibility: Interested organisations should fulfil the following criteria in order to be considered for this project:
- Be an AWDF grantee and should have received grants from AWDF in the last 3-5 years
- The organisation should have an existing board which will be available for the governance strengthening trainings.
- The organisation should have a minimum of 3 full-time staff
- The organisation should have access to reliable internet and be able to use Skype and email.
- The organisation should have functioning office space with basic office infrastructure.
- The organisation should work in any of these areas; Violence against Women (VAW), Health and Reproductive rights (HRR), Economic Empowerment and Livelihood (EEL) areas and with women especially young women.
- Two staff members from an organisation’s leadership. That is one CEO/ED/programme Manager/Coordinators and one staff from the next level in management.
- Applying leaders should be within the ages of 18 – 45 years.
- Leaders should be able to communicate in either English, French or Amharic.
- Leaders should be able to communicate via internet, Skype, telephone and email.
- Leaders who have demonstrated the potential to develop.
Number of Awardees: 10 AWDF grantee organisations and 20 women leaders
Value of Programme: The coaching project will entail the following:
- Attending a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) forum. This is a 3 day event for orientation, skills sharing, strategy development and networking for participating leaders, coaches and AWDF. This event will be held in Kenya from 15- 17 November 2016.
- Engaging in one-on-one coaching via phone calls, email, Skype conversations and occasional inperson meetings with their personal coaches from December 2016 – August 2017
- Governance strengthening activities for boards of participating organisations.
- Writing of opinion pieces or articles by leaders about their work and development.
- Participating in at least one AWDF skill building training/workshop where necessary.
Duration of Programme: 9 months from December 2016– August 2017
How to Apply: To be considered forthe project, your organisation isrequired to send your application to the AWDF Capacity Building Unit at [email protected]; and cc [email protected]; [email protected] justifying why you and your organisation should be selected for the project. All applications MUST be received by 8th August 2016.
Please include the following in your application:
- Names and positions of 2 staff from your organisation who will be participating in the project
- Why your organisation should be considered (highlighting on leadership & governance issues).
- Your last grant from AWDF, the year and for what project.
- Which level(s) your organisation typically engages in i.e community, national or regional
- Challenges you hope to overcome in the process
- How the project will enable you achieve your individual and organisational objectives.
- Include a written recommendation from your board endorsing you and your participation in the project
- Any other information to strengthen your application is welcome
Award Provider: The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF)
Important Notes: Please note that the individual leadership coaching project is reserved for ONLY women leaders.