University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business offers Bertha Centre scholarship for African students to study courses that advance social justice,innovation and entrepreneurship in Africa.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries. Preference will be given to citizens from South Africa.
To be taken at (country): Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Eligible Fields of Study: The scholarship covers a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These include the MBA [both full-time and the modular program], the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation, and PhD programs. Eligible fields also include candidates committed to advancing social justice and opportunities through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
About the Award: The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
While the Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all; the Bertha Centre Scholars at the GSB are part of a larger Bertha Foundation network of “troublemakers/radical actors” whose purpose it is to challenge the status quo for social justice – in this case through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Eligibility: The Bertha Centre scholarships are open to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in the exploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches.
An eligible candidate must
- be an African citizen (or a South African permanent resident for at least one year.)
- started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social or economic change; or
- worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation for at least one year.
- Experience in these fields would be preferable, as well as a track record of action exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities within their field.
- Demonstrate some level of financial need for the scholarship
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs.
Duration of Scholarship: 30 November – 4 December 2017
How to Apply: Candidate must first be eligible, comply with and apply for the MBA or MPhil programmes entrance requirements at the UCT Graduate School of Business*.
Candidate would then submit the Bertha Centre Scholarship Application Form which should include:
- Candidate’s UCT GSB application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Candidate’s contact details and your CV uploaded
- Candidate’s answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Candidate’s short [no longer than four minute] video.
Visit Scholarship Webpage for Details
Award Provider: The Bertha Foundation, Canon Collins Trust
- Candidate will only be able to take up the Bertha Centre Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB MBA, MPhil or PhD programmes.
- Candidate’s submission will be assessed and the Bertha Centre will contact you only if you have been selected for an interview with the scholarship selection panel.