Do you have what it takes or perhaps you know a teacher who does? Our Global Teacher Prize been designed to identify nothing short of extraordinary teaching, and we use a rigorous set of criteria to help us find individuals who take their profession to new heights.
Application Deadline: 8th October 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Dubai, UAE
Eligible Fields of Study: None. Candidates who strive to be good teachers are eligible for this fellowship.
About the Award: Dubbed the “Nobel Prize for teaching”, this $1 million award aims to put teaching excellence in the spotlight, where it belongs. Our goal is to give outstanding global educators a chance to show the world what they do, sharing inspiring stories and encouraging ever-more ambitious teaching practice and educational initiatives.
The Prize will be awarded under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister, Ruler of Dubai. Submissions may be made between 14th June 2017 and 8th October 2017. The winner will be announced during the Global Education and Skills Forum 2018. The selection process will be audited by PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
Eligibility: To be eligible, an Applicant must:
- be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of entry;
- teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a compulsory setting;
- not be prohibited from participating in the Contest or receiving the Prize under applicable law;
- not have a criminal record;
- not have conducted themselves (by act or omission) in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or VF, its affiliates, or their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries (“VF Parties”) into disrepute (as may be determined at the sole discretion of VF);
- not be a previous Prize winner; and
- not be a previous Top 10 candidate
Selection Criteria: We’re looking for:
- Appreciation from parents, students, colleagues, head teachers or the community. We want to see the people who matter speaking up for a teacher who has made a real impact in their lives.
- Innovation in teaching practice. Whether that means embracing technology or doing something new and different. Whatever innovative approach is used, it should clearly help students achieve their learning outcomes.
- Contribution to educational debates. From blogs and conferences, to social media campaigns and media participation, our Global Teacher should be giving voice to the educational issues which affect them and their community.
- Encouragement for teachers, and non-teachers. We’re looking for an individual who supports educators and encourages others to enter the teaching profession, either actively or by setting a positive example.
- Preparation of young people for success in an increasingly diverse and globalised world. Winning candidates should be working to turn students into open-minded, successful global citizens.
- Development of innovative ideas and initiatives which improve access to quality education for children from all backgrounds.
- Accomplishment which goes beyond the classroom, setting a precedent for a truly extraordinary approach to education which inspires both teachers and non-teachers all over the world.
- Once the application process has closed, applications will be scored and read by a panel of online judges who will select the Top 50 Finalists.
- The first Committee of judges (“Prize Committee“) will meet in November 2017 to select the Top 10 Finalists.
- The Global Teacher Prize Academy (the final panel of judges) will then select the winner, through a secure online voting system, subject to additional screening, background and reference checks.
- The whole selection process will be monitored and audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers to ensure transparency.
Number of Awardees: Ten (10)
Value of Award: US$1,000,000
How to Apply: Apply in the Award Webpage (See Link below)
Award Provider: Varkey Foundation