IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca is offering scholars the opportunity to undertake PhD research programs in economics, engineering, computer science, neurosciences and behavioral psychology, physics, applied physics, applied mathematics, statistics and cultural heritage.
Application Deadline: 18th July, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Global
To be taken at (country): Italy
Eligible Field of Study: Candidates can apply for one (or more) of the following curricula:
- Analysis and Management of Cultural Heritage (AMCH)
- Cognitive, Computational and Social Neurosciences (CCSN)
- Computer Science and Systems Engineering (CSSE)
- Economics, Management and Data Science (EMDS)
About the Award: Admission to IMT’s PhD program is competitive on an international level, with evaluation mainly focusing on past academic performance (grades) and scientific relevance to the selected curricula. First and foremost, however, certain basic formal requirements must be met before candidates are eligible to apply. Namely, candidates must have completed and obtained a degree equivalent to at least 4 years of university studies. (Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor’s degree is awarded before they enroll at IMT.)
Type: Postgraduate Degree
Eligibility: A university degree of at least 4 years or full time equivalent. Eligibility will be assessed by the PhD Selection Committee.
- Applicants are evaluated by a selection committee on the basis of past academic performance (grades) and background, scientific relevance and aptitude to research within the selected curriculum, and any other additional pertinent data submitted in the application (such as scientific publications, if any). While ranking of applicants is mostly driven by academic achievement, scientific pertinence is also taken into consideration for admission.
- The candidates that pass the initial assessment of the applications will be invited for an interview with the selection committee, either in person at the IMT campus, or via standard internet video conference, or through any other procedure allowing visual contact with the candidates and viewing of their identity document. Candidates with no access to videoconferencing facilities can conduct the interview at an Italian embassy or consulate.
- During the evaluation process, in rare circumstances, the selection committee may propose a different curriculum from the one chosen by the candidate.
- Equal opportunities are ensured to all candidates throughout the evaluation process.
Number of Awardees: Thirty-six (36)
Value of Scholarship: 13,638.47 Euros/year
- All PhD students admitted to the PhD program are exempt from paying tuition fees, although they are still responsible for paying the yearly Regional Education Tax (currently €140.00/year);
- All PhD students are offered free meals (lunch and dinner) at the on-campus canteen;
- All scholarship recipients are provided with free accommodation in shared double rooms within the campus residential facilities.
Duration of Scholarship: Three (3) years
How to Apply: Candidates must apply via the online application form by the deadline set in the Call for Applications (July 18th, 2017 at 12:00 Italian time).
Award Provider: IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca, Italy
Important Notes: Applications are open to candidates without regard to nationality, age, gender or religion. Proficiency in English is compulsory as research and teaching are conducted in English. No knowledge of Italian is requested.
Due to high traffic near the call closure, candidates are encouraged to submit their application well in advance of the deadline to avoid last-minute congestion in the online application procedure!